Friday, November 19, 2010

Sunset

I'm so good at sabotaging myself!

Enter Beastie Boys Lyrics:
"Listen All Of Y'all It's A Sabotage
I Can't Stand It, I Know You Planned It
But I'm Gonna Set It Straight This Watergate" !!

I made frosted sugar cookies, before noon, today!! My sugar coma was induced by lunch time. I couldn't keep my eyes open ...so I didn't!! I feel asleep on our guest bed while listening to the kids' cartoon playing in the next room. The sun was coming through the window and I was wrapped-up in my new Navajo-style, warm blanket. Even with all of the noise and the bright room, I loved it. Something about taking a nap, on a bed I don't normally sleep on, wrapped in a new blanket that isn't fully familiar yet ...the combo made me think of naps at my grandparent's house.

I usually HAD to nap at my grandparent's. I had to nap because I often came into contact with fish and had allergic reactions. I'd take a Benadryl, Grandmother would give me a big, cozy blanket and I'd drift off. I'd sleep hard and long and wake-up to hear my mom's voice, happy and relaxed as she had coffee with grandmother or was helping to make dinner. My sisters and brother would be in and out of the house talking, running, switching the tv on and getting the crayons out. Granddad would be talking stock market or real estate and Dad would be running the lawn mower (or some similar scenario.) I always felt like I'd gotten this perfect rest amidst all the business. But, I loved the business too and was ready to resume my role in it all!!

I woke today, looking around the guest room and hearing all the activity in the living room. I felt like I'd been wrapped in grandmother's blanket. I got to wake-up feeling like a visitor in my house and in my life as I know it now. I got to remember how I felt then but then wake fully up and be in my own home. A sugar induced time traveling experience that ended up making me feel very connected to the generations of my family.

I didn't really feel motivated until 4pm ...just as Travis was getting ready for work. Dusk! I come alive as the light changes. I said, "I really am a sunset person." Travis laughed and said he knew I was. He declared himself a "sunrise" person awhile back. He said that sunrise people look forward to the day. I assumed that he was insulting me by saying that I look back at the day. Travis said, "What is your favorite thing to do?" HMmmm, I thought about it and he added, "What do you spend the most money on?" I thought about it again and he said, "Photography! ...that is you looking back at the day." I'm a little perplexed by the thought of this. I do lie in bed thinking about the day past ...not the one ahead. I'm thinking that this isn't the best way to live. It is my most natural state. This is one that I need some feed back on.

Are you a sunrise or a sunset person and how do you feel about it?

2 comments:

  1. Josie - I'm a sunset person also. As the day moves toward evening is when I come awake and alive, as if I've just been gathering the energy and sunlight for the 'real' time and my real work in the evening. I love the colors of the evening and the night - very subtle and gentle. In a way, I feel that the evening and nighttime is like a blanket, like your blanket of rest within busyness, that wraps me into a more contemplative and private time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! Glad to know I'm in good company on this!!

    ReplyDelete