Monday, March 29, 2010

Trolling

Maybe we overdid the fun yesterday. Jessie G's flu returned as we returned home from fishing in Helena. She is a sad little thing with pale skin and bright red lips ...no energy today. She's sleeping now ...that should help.

I'm finally getting around to enjoying my coffee at noon. It's stormy looking outside and I love it!! Coffee and a lingering storm, sleeping child and a house to clean!! My parents are arriving, in Butte, tomorrow!! They're getting a hotel so the kids can swim. If the weather is good, Dad is going to help me build a big sandbox for Gavin and Jess (and neighbors!) I remember living in our sandbox! If Gavin and Jessie like the sandbox as much as I did, I should have numerous hours painting on the porch logged-in by summer's end. (Painting on the porch is like living in a dorm room ...with the door open! All of the neighbors stop by and chat.) The sandbox is going to be big enough for me to join in the digging to China adventures!

Travis LOVES to fish. I've mentioned this. Our boat is not very trustworthy. Well, the boat is, the engine isn't. Trav has spent hours, days, weeks working on the motor to get it to a reliable state. Yesterday, he wanted to drive to Helena and test out a second motor ...trolling motor and spare in-case of emergency (which is likely!!) He lit all up when I mentioned wanting to come along. He really lit-up when I bought my 2010 fishing license!!

Travis built a bracket for the trolling motor to sit in. He didn't spend much time on it because his work schedule has been full and he was eager to get in the water. But, he had confidence in the sturdy materials he'd used. Yes, I'm foreshawdowing!! The main motor didn't start but our objective was to test out the trolling motor. So, we left the safety of the dock and headed into Holter Lake and the Gates of the Mountains.

The smile was contagious! Travis was so happy with the trolling motor (that his cousin wants to sell to him.) He decided to speed things up and the engine dropped off the sturdy bracket!! Not all the way off but enough that Travis had to leap to get a grasp of it. It's terrible, but that was what I was expecting! I wasn't surprised in any way. Travis was! With a little team work, we moved the motor next to the non-running main motor and slowly made our way back to the dock.

When the timing seemed right, I said, "Didn't you think that was a possibility?"

"What? The bracket giving way? NO! Did you?"

"Maybe it's a mother-thing but I had pictured it!"

"You! You used the 'Secret' on us!"

I was thinking, If I had that kind of control over willing things/situations into our lives, we'd be in a new inboard ski boat with no gas exhaust to distract from the peaceful setting!! A great stereo system would only help to lure fish of good taste!! Add that to the list!
"I did not (use the Secret!) I just have to consider the worst case scenario so I know how to prepare!"

I had been thinking about where the cell phone was, the paddles, how hard it would be to hike up the mountainside and get to the truck, etc!! I'm not a pessimist but, we have had some adventures in that boat!!

We got back to the dock and the fly fishermen there were catching trout after trout! They were good sized too! Each one was catch and release and I could just see Travis thinking how delicious they would be smoked or grilled!! He worked and worked on the main engine, nothing. After about an hour he asked, "Can we just go out and troll around for a little while?"

We did and the kids loved it. Travis went into his element-state-of-being ...quiet and thoughtful ...taking it all in. I teased that most men have their "cave" setting in their homes. They have their rec room, sports center, garage, etc. but Travis' cave is his boat!! (It's nice that he welcomes the entire family so enthusiastically into his "cave!") It's good he has it ...I'm just looking forward to the day when it's not such an expected "adventure!"

No comments:

Post a Comment